The North Vancouver City Library (NVCL) 6th Annual Kilby Memorial Teen Photo Contest and Reception reflects this year’s theme: Who We Are. The contest calls for teens to showcase their creativity and capture the heart of the North Shore. Short-listed photos will be displayed throughout the Library prior to the opening reception, as well as on the Library’s website and on Facebook. The winning photos will be framed and displayed in the 2nd floor Teen Room.
Submission Deadline: Saturday, April 25th. Email your submission to: email@example.com
Categories and Prizes:
- Grand Prize: A day with a professional photographer Mike Wakefield from NSNews,
- 1st Place (grade 6-9): Go Pro Camera
- 1st Place (grade 10-12): Go Pro Camera
- Honourable Mention (grade 6-9): Photography Book (Title TBA) and $25 Chapters Gift Card
- Honourable Mention (grade 10-12): Photography Book (Title TBA) and $25 Chapters Gift Card
- People’s Choice Award – determined by online poll (grade 6-12): $100 Future Shop Gift Card
- Open to all students (grade 6-12) living on the North Shore.
- Limit of one entry per person.
- Submitted photo to have been taken on the North Shore in 2014 or 2015.
- Photos may be in black and white or colour.
- Photographs should be a minimum resolution of 5 megapixels.
- Submission email to include first name, last name, photo title, grade, school, email address, phone number, if photo is digitally altered…how?
- The person submitting the photograph must have full copyrights for the work produced (including permission from subjects in the photograph, if applicable).
- Photos will be judged based on theme, originality, and creativity of photograph and title.
- Submitted photos may be used by the NVCL for promotional materials in print and online.
Opening Gala Reception on Saturday May 30th, 2015, 1pm – 3pm
The gala will take place in the 3rd Floor Program Room. It is open to all ages (no registration required). We will be celebrating the jury’s shortlisted photos and announcing the winners. Appetizers and refreshments served. Everyone welcome.
We would like to thank our generous sponsors:
- Starbucks at 13th and Lonsdale
- Photographer Mike Wakefield
- Future Shop Park Royal
Who was Paul Kilby?
Paul Kilby was an English teacher at Balmoral Secondary School in North Vancouver. He passed away in 2008. Paul loved teaching and inspiring youth to explore their creativity in art and language. Through a generous donation from his estate, the Library celebrates his life by putting on programs and events like the Kilby Memorial Teen Photo Contest. We have been fortunate to have members of the Kilby family present at the opening for our photo contest, where we honour Paul Kilby as a man who loved being a part of the North Shore community and celebrating his students.
For more information about this event please visit our website at http://www.nvcl.ca/using-the-library/teen/kilby