With One Voice: Winter Concert at St. Clement’s Church North Vancouver

Event Details

St. Clement's Church

This concert features features two Ismaili choirs conducted by St. Clement’s music director Lynley Lewis, as well as local church choirs.

Organizers promise a great inter-faith event, with prayers and chants for peace.

Tickets $12 in advance or $15 at the door, refreshments included.

For more information about this event please call us at 604-988-4418


Our History

March 16, 1899 the first Anglican Service was held on the north shore and the following year St. John the Evangelist, the first church was opened. It can be readily understood why Anglicans in Lynn Valley desired a “Chapel-at-ease”, as a Mission Church was known as in the olden days. Attending Divine Service at St. John’s necessitated walking the long distance on a plank road, skid-road and forest trail in the days of yesteryear – with women wearing long dresses and button-up shoes on a hot summer day. The only horse and buggy was that belonging to the postmistress in the “Valley” and of course it could only travel on the plank road, with seating accommodation for two.

On May 6, 1908, “the Reverend J.H. Hooper, Vicar of St. Johns Parish, North Vancouver, visited the Valley calling upon sundry church people and spoke to them concerning the expediency of starting Church of England services in the valley.” So reads the opening chapter of the history of this parish. From these humble beginnings grew our parish church. The next day the first service was held in the old school house, which became the community hall known as “Institute Hall”.

The new parishioners purchased a lot for $150, and built the new church on the road subsequently named “Church Street” which remains so today. At the official opening, Easter, April 18, 1909, 100 people crowded into the newly built small church.

In May of 1927 the Church was rolled from the site on Church Street to the present location on Institute Road and was known as “Saint Clement-by-the-brook”.

In the ’40’s and early ’50’s additions were added either side of the original 1909 Church, which today are the offices, upper room and St. Mary’s Room. The rear section of the original church is now our Chapel. The front section with a vestibule, where the Memorial Garden is now, was deemed unsafe and demolished in the late ’60’s.

In 1959 the present Panabode church was built for $35,000 with devoted labor and donations from parishioners. Projects over the years have added; the Bell Tower (1970); finishing the basement (1975); the wheelchair ramp into the church (1984), the Memorial Garden (1985); the Church Office downstairs (1987); the wheelchair ramp to the lower hall (1995); and the handi-cap washroom (2002).



This symbol is your 'view' counter. It measures the number of times the page has been seen by people using this site. It's not very scientific, but it is a lot of fun - especially when you realize how popular you can be!